Mass Spectrometry Applications
- Biomarker Discovery and Omics Research
- Clinical Diagnostics
- Clinical Research Mass Spectrometry
- Drug Discovery and Development Mass Spec
- Environmental Testing
- Food & Beverage Testing
- Forensic Toxicology Mass Spec
For research use only. Not for use in diagnostic procedures.
Fast, accurate analysis of biological samples for drugs of abuse and other potentially toxic compounds is an increasingly important part of research in clinical toxicology research. Traditional methods of toxicology analysis, including immunoassays, liquid chromatography with ultra-violet detection (LC/UV), and gas chromatography with mass spectrometry (GC/MS) have significant limitations that reduce their utility in the toxicology research facility. For example, immunoassays and LC/UV often suffer from a lack of specificity, and because GC/MS toxicology analysis is limited to volatile compounds and organic solvents, extensive sample extraction and/or derivatization is often necessary.
Liquid chromatography with tandem mass spectrometry (LC/MS/MS) has been rapidly adopted for toxicology research because it combines the resolving power of chromatography with the sensitivity and specificity of mass spectrometry. LC/MS/MS delivers:
- Simpler sample preparation for faster toxicology analysis
- Fewer steps where error or contamination can be introduced
- Lower limits for drug or toxin detection
- More accurate quantitation
When using LC/MS/MS in toxicology research, sample preparation is generic, allowing for screening across a wide variety of compound classes using a single sample preparation procedure and chromatographic analysis. As such, LC/MS/MS allows researchers performing toxicology analysis to identify, quantitate, and confirm the identity of hundreds of drugs of abuse or toxins in a single analysis.AB SCIEX is a global leader in developing mass spectrometry tools for clinical and toxicology research and analysis. Our unique QTRAP® System Technology shortens toxicology analysis time and gives you more useful information from every experiment. Combined with Cliquid® Software, iMethod™ Applications, and a drugs-of-abuse library that includes 1250 compounds, AB SCIEX systems are a rapid, high-throughput solution for toxicology research that are easy to implement and quick to deliver results.
- The AB SCIEX 3200 QTRAP® LC/MS/MS System provides excellent sensitivity, superior dynamic range, and reliability across a wide range of identification and quantitation applications in toxicology research. With features found only in our industry-leading LC/MS/MS systems, the 3200 QTRAP® System brings true hybrid triple quadrupole/linear ion trap capabilities within the reach of any research lab.
- The AB SCIEX QTRAP® 4500 LC/MS/MS System is the new workhorse for the most demanding clinical and toxicology research laboratories enabling reliable quantitation and library searching – with 100-fold more full-scan sensitivity over basic triple quadrupoles in the same class.
- The AB SCIEX TripleTOF® 5600 System represents a breakthrough in LC/MS/MS performance for toxicology analysis that uniquely integrates comprehensive qualitative exploration, rapid profiling, and high-resolution quantitation workflows on a single platform.
LC/MS/MS has become a very valuable tool in toxicology screening in clinical research. By using LC/MS/MS, sample preparation can be simplified and run times reduced, resulting in increased throughput and faster sample turnaround times. Sample preparation is generic, allowing for screening across a wide variety of compound classes using a single sample preparation procedure and chromatographic analysis.
Figure 1: Multi-target LC/MS/MS screening for >700 drugs. MRM mode was combined with dependent full-scan MS/MS spectral acquisition. The MS/MS spectra were searched against a library for compound identification and confirmation.
3200 QTRAP® LC/MS/MS System
Excellent sensitivity, superior dynamic range
The 3200 QTRAP® LC/MS/MS System provides excellent sensitivity, superior dynamic range, and reliability across a range of identification and quantitation applications in research. With features found in our industry-leading LC/MS/MS systems, the 3200 QTRAP® System brings true hybrid triple quadrupole/linear ion trap capabilities within the reach of any research lab.
One combination of offerings to help researchers perform toxicological studies is listed below:
View brochures, technical notes, webinars, and videos about how we can help you with your forensic toxicology testing.