Soil Contamination and Testing
Soil contamination is often caused by industrial waste discharge, sewage discharge, agrichemical application, oil and fuel dumping, and leaching of waste from landfills and other sources, and ultimately threatens the environment, our food supply, general public health, and sustainable farming. Common soil contaminants can range from persistent organic pollutants (POPs), pharmaceuticals and personal health care products (PPCPs), and petroleum-based and polyaromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs), as well as lead and other heavy metals.
Soil testing and analysis with LC/MS/MS
There is a definite need to monitor soil contaminants, particularly to evaluate the exposure of people, animals and plants to contaminants and to try to mitigate this exposure in the long term.
Gas chromatography (GC) and liquid chromatography (LC) coupled with mass spectrometry (MS) are widely used for soil testing and analysis. In particular, LC coupled with tandem mass spectrometry (LC/MS/MS) offers a number advantages for trace-level analysis of medium-polar, polar, and ionic compounds in soil samples. Some specific applications of LC/MS/MS for soil analysis include:
- Identification and quantitation of large sets of targeted and generally unknown substances down to the ng/L level
- High selectivity for reliable contaminant identification
- Minimal sample preparation for fast analysis and turnaround of results
- High sensitivity for contaminant detection, reducing the need for compound derivatization
Soil tests with AB SCIEX
Examples of how AB SCIEX LC/MS/MS systems and advanced software are helping scientists meet the challenges of soil testing and environmental monitoring are available below:
- Using LC/MS/MS and Advanced Software Tools to Screen for Unknown and Non-targeted PPCP in Environmental Samples
Push the limits of soil contamination testing and analysis
Let us work with you to push the limits of soil contamination testing and analysis. With over 170 application chemists globally, AB SCIEX can provide world-class field application support on a local level. Supported by our worldwide training and service network, our capabilities ensure your success.